It’s expected that by the end of 2015, digital marketing companies will have spent about $8.3 billion on social media marketing alone. The important question, though, is, are they investing this money in the best possible way?
It’s no surprise that social media use has skyrocketed in recent years, and it’s definitely a good investment for digital marketing companies. What really matters isn’t whether you’re investing enough money into your social media campaigns — it’s whether you’re using that money and using social media to your greatest advantage. With all of that in mind, here are some of the best social media marketing tips, straight from the digital marketing experts:
- You need unique content. It isn’t enough to “retweet” everything to your audience and expect them to be interested — and you can’t just rewrite everything that your competitors are sharing!
- Speaking of writing… It’s not enough. Graphics are key when it comes to digital marketing in general, and they’re even more important when you’re trying to create shareable content. A large majority of internet users won’t even read a page of content, but they’ll stop to look an infographic or watch a short video.
- Use hashtags. Yes, “hashtag marketing” is a thing these days (sort of). Instead of filling your entire posts with generic tags, pick out a handle of tags that really represent your brand and try to use them on a consistent basis. Your followers will likely start to use them too!
- Keep it simple. Long posts are not very successful in content marketing campaigns, and a lot of it is because internet users just don’t want to spend the time reading a long post or watching a long video. Keep it short and sweet, and direct people back to your website for more information.
- “Like this if you agree!” <-- No. Fishing for “likes” and “shares” has been common in the past because it helps SEO marketing, but it signals to your followers that you’re posting something just to get the attention and not because it’s actually useful or entertaining.
- Engage with your customers! One of the biggest benefits of social media is that huge companies can connect with their customers directly, and small businesses can quickly find out about industry trends. Try to engage your followers as much as possible, and make sure to ask for feedback about your products, services, and business.
So now we want to hear your input — what are the best social media marketing tips you’d give to someone else?